Corporate Social Responsibility
Cunliffes is mindful of its role in the communities in which we operate and wherever possible, strive to make a positive difference to the people and places within them, in line with our pledge to ‘deliver a brighter future for communities’.
Cunliffes employees embark on community related initiatives each year, offering careers advice and workplace experience annually. These contributions are in addition to our charity work which often sees Cunliffes employees taking on all manner of challenges including cycling, running, swimming and climbing for great local causes.
Wherever we work, Cunliffes will, wherever possible, take the opportunity to involve themselves in community projects, provide training and advice in construction related skills and become an active member of the community.
Cunliffes acknowledges that its activities have a direct impact on the environment, and are committed to effectively managing and reducing its impact through the adoption and implementation of the following policy, which requires us to:
- Identify, and comply with, all legislation, standards and codes of practice which are directly relevant to our business practices and activities;
- Promote awareness and influence our clients of the benefits of sustainability, and the need to protect the environment;
- Seek to influence our clients to adopt, and our design teams to provide, solutions that benefit the environment;
- Protect and, where feasible, enhance biodiversity on sites and premises where we hold responsibility or can influence those who do;
- Specify, as far as practicable, materials and services that through their use, sourcing and/or manufacture, have the least harmful effect on the environment;
- Keep up to date with all relevant technical advances and comply with all applicable environmental legislative requirements, codes of practice and clients’ environmental requirements;
- Seek to influence and improve environmental performance through best tendering practice;
- Provide honest up to date information to our clients, neighbours and employees with regards to our environmental performance.
Within the Practice
- Continually strive to improve our environmental performance through the effective use of best practice techniques and implementation of our independently certified environmental management system (EMS) in accordance with ISO 14001: 2004;
- Continually strive to improve our performance through the continual training of our employees in understanding and fulfilling their environmental responsibilities;
- Minimise the need for travel, but where travel is unavoidable, use modern and efficient modes of transport;
- Reduce the amount of waste, emissions and pollution generated from our business operations and encourage conservation, reuse and recycling of resources;
- Review and continually improve our Environment and Sustainability Policy anually.
Senior Management review this policy annually and establish environmental objectives and targets that are consistent with the business’s current policy commitments thus providing a framework of methods, processes and systems through which we are playing our part in protecting the environment.
Health & Safety
By making health and safety a priority we continue to improve our workplaces for our employees, clients, partners and the public.
Our Occupational Health (OH) team promotes awareness throughout the business, emphasising health issues and helping everyone to understand the importance of health and safety at work. Furthermore we have recently implemented and gained accreditation to the Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) 18001.
Employment & Training
Cunliffes understands that it owes its success to its employees. That’s why we support the talented and enthusiastic people who devote their time to the company, and provide the necessary training and development to support the next generation of professionals.
We understand that work should be challenging, rewarding and stimulating providing new opportunities to develop skills. With this in mind, we make sure that all Cunliffes employees across all departments of the business have regular opportunities to learn and grow.
Developing the next generation of employees is also vital to our success. New employees at Cunliffes are given a structured approach to learning and development, aimed at gaining membership to relevant professional bodies.